Thursday, April 1, 2010

Exploring Kanazawa

Yesterday, my host sister invited me to Kanazawa Station. We got there by bus and met some of her friends. They’re going to a concert in april, and were buying the tickets to Osaka. I didn’t really understand much of what they were talking about, but it was interesting looking around the station. I got my bus card, so now I don’t have to worry about having exact change… just making sure there’s money on it XD.

Since I was finally able to pack the day before, I gave my host family their omiyage (gifts). I gave them maple candy, Canada pens and pins and a book with pics of Alberta. I was kinda embarrassed to I gave it to them before I went for a bath. They seemed to really like them so it made me happy.

Today My host sis took me for a walk around Kenrokuen Garden and our neighbourhood. It’s still cold, so everything looks kinda dead, but I’m sure it will be quite beautiful when the cherry blossoms bloom There were so many little shops and I now know where some of my gifts are coming from XD. There is also ice cream at almost every shop. We stopped for some. I got matcha (green tea), it was actually kinda good… a little bitter but good. She also showed me where to get on the bus for school and the nearest post office ATM for me to withdraw money. I don’t remember how to get to either, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

This evening, I had to go back to city hall, because they needed a picture for my alien registration card. After, I went back to the Ishikawa International Exchange Building to apply for my Japanese lessons. I had a mini interview and then a 60 question test (100 points) afterwards to determine what level class I should take. My speaking ability sucks, but the test went better… although there were some questions I pretty much guessed >.<. I’m looking forward to the lessons twice a week since I will be able to improve that much faster.

Btw, there were tons of tourists at Kenrouken. I was surprised by how many there were when the sakura haven’t even bloomed yet. While we were there I got stared at by both the Japanese and the foreigners XD probably because of my hair (red) or maybe my age… The staring is still quite amusing. I can’t help but smile sometimes ^^. I think it also enforces the fact I’m in Japan! :D

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

jenny~ you should post some pictures, so we can see what you've described XD. i check your blog almost everyday see if you have updated or not LOL~ it seems like you have a great time over there. what about the meals? and your school uniform? btw this is virginia. take care!!