Sunday, March 28, 2010

Host Family!

My host family is awesome! They are so kind and are doing their best to make me feel like I’m part of their family. I don’t see my host dad often cause he leaves for work before I get up and comes home around 8. I’m probably closest with my host sis and host mom. My host sis speaks a bit of English, so she helps translate if necessary, along with her electronic dictionary (so useful!). I feel kinda bad cause most of the time I’m just saying hai (yes) or iie (no). My Japanese sucks right now, but hopefully I’ll get better fast!

Yesterday, me, 2 other people for Kanazawa, 3 for Komatsu and 3 for Fukui, were all drove together in a mini bus to our cities because they are soo far away from Nagoya. We felt kinda left out because we were the last to leave, and pretty much everyone else’s host families came and picked them up at orientation. We felt like orphans XD. The whole trip lasted about 4 hours. My city was last, so much travel >.< When someone was dropped off, everyone else would get so nervous/excited because they realized what was coming. After the last stop before mine, me and the other girl going to my city started giggling and we couldn’t stop for like 5 mins XD.

Our host families met us at a restaurant and we all ate dinner together. When we walked into the restaurant I overheard my host sis call me kawaii (cute). Tee hee… This was really the first time I spoke a lot of Japanese since arriving. It was weird, because French kept wanting to slip out, and it happened once or twice… so strange XD. Everyone kept saying how impressed they were with my chopstick skills.

After we went our separate ways. On the way home, I heard 2 of my favorite bands – SuG and LM.C - on the radio (or maybe my host bro’s ipod… not sure). Driving through Kanazawa and hearing them was such a surreal feeling. Btw, Kanazawa is such a big city! I thought it would be more country like, but it’s pretty big. I’m kinda glad I didn’t get placed anywhere bigger.

My host family’s house is pretty much the traditional Japanese house. My room has a tatami floor and sliding door. I also sleep on a futon. I actually don’t mind sleeping on the floor. However, last night was friggin cold! The little clock has a temperature on it, and it was 5C degrees in my room! It’s been raining since I got here, which could be part of the reason. It also prevents me from taking pics >.<

I went and met my host dad’s grandma and sister today. They were really nice and were impressed with my Japanese. We went to Uni Qlo :D after and bought me some slippers… they just fit my feet. We went grocery shopping after. Everything is so colourful in Japan :). The whole time I felt/saw people watching me. Everyone was pretty discreet about it except for the little kids who would pretty much gawk at me. I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing. I find the staring quite amusing. I talked to my parents today… I miss my friends and family, but I’m having an awesome time.

I’m going to city hall tomorrow to register.
Until next time
じゃね〜

0 comments: